Monday, December 15, 2008

Myriad Botanical Garden, Apartment Holiday Party and It is Cold!!

Cold enough for ya?? Sounds like the Puget Sound has gotten a little snow lately. One of the chilliest cold fronts since December 1990?? That was my senior year of high school and I remember that storm for a couple of reasons. One of which was the infamous December 18th basketball game between the Sonics and the Orlando Magic that I wasn't able to attend because we got hit with a bad snow storm in the late afternoon that messed up the entire region. Just a little over 1,600 people attended the game even though over 12,000 tickets were sold and even some of the players were late arriving. KC Jones was the Sonics head coach and he even showed up more than halfway through the game. Hope it doesn't end up being that bad this week.

Crazy cold front in OKC right now. Yesterday we supposedly had a high temperature of 72 degrees and today the high was around 21. That is not a typo, it is a temperature swing of over 50 degrees. I'm not sure when it was in the 70s yesterday as I thought it was chilly. I went for a jog at Lake Hefner yesterday afternoon at around 2:00 and when I got out of my car the thermometer read 53 however we had 35 MPH winds that made it feel much colder. I ran 6 miles, 3 in one direction and 3 back to the car. The last 3 were straight into the wind and it felt like it was below freezing. I thought it was supposed to be nice out so I wore shorts and a short sleeve shirt. By the time I got back to the car I was miserable and my arms were numb. Wasn't fun.
Last night I drove downtown to the Myraid Botanical Gardens and Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory. This is an area located about 2 blocks from the Ford Center and it was my first visit. The Crystal Bridge is an indoor domed area that has a tropical feel and contains over 1000 different species of plants from every continent except Antarctica. http://www.myriadgardens.com/
During December the conservatory is decorated with festive lights and is open to the public for free on Sunday nights from 6:00-9:00. I think a usual visit is $6.00. There were a lot of people taking advantage of the free offer so there wasn't a lot of time to check things out too closely, besides the plants are much harder to see at night as the conservatory generally relies on natural light and isn't very well lit. I will definitely make another trip there in the future to view the plants better however I was more interested in seeing the holiday lights and it was a good trip. I did take some pictures but most didn't come out very well as it was very dark other than the holiday lights. Most of the pictures were either overexposed and the lights were too bright or underexposed and the lights showed up but nothing else. Some of my least crappy pictures made the blog.
The worst part of the trip was walking to and from my car. IT WAS FREEZING. When I got home I turned on the news and they said it was 26 degrees but that the wind chill factor was 2 degrees. By that time the 72 degrees was long gone. I had gloves, a warm jacket and a scarf and I was still cold. Needless to say I didn't stay outside longer than I had to.
Friday night I went to the Christmas party that my apartment complex puts on. It is held in the lobby and I thought there was going to be a large turnout since there are over 300 units, however only about 30 people showed up. That was good for me since they raffled off prizes and I won what I thought was a $50 gift certificate. When I opened up the envelope I found out it is was 5 different $10 certificates that are good for either Henry Hudsons Pub, Bellini's Ristorante & Grill or Poblano Grill. Hudsons has 10 different locations in the area, Bellini's is a restaurant that I hear has good Italian and Poblano's has 3 locations with what I'm told is good Mexican. Sounds like I have some new places I need to check out. I hear that Henry Hudsons Pubs are not what you would call "classy" and a little incident happened at one of their locations close to my apartment building last year that made national news when a Oklahoma Sooner fan got into a fight with a Texas Longhorn fan. Won't say on here what happened but it was pretty gruesome. Go ahead and google it if you are curious but don't say I didn't warn you before reading the story, especially if you are a male. I will probably just wear a generic shirt when I go there.

Can't blog this week without mentioning that the big sports news around here is OU Quarterback Sam Bradford
winning the Heisman Trophy on Saturday night. Bradford is a graduate of Putnam City North High School which is less than 4 miles from where I live. Way to go Sam!!! Now if only Jake Locker could win the award in 2009 for the Huskies.




No comments: