Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Suns Are Almost Thunder Struck


Now that I have got my camera hooked up to the computer I am posting another picture. It is of me and 2 co-workers (Oklahoma native Tyler and Seattle native Todd) at the Oklahoma Sooners football game a few weeks ago. Not significant to this post but thought I would put it up anyway.




Latest weather report: I think it might have hit 70 degrees yesterday. Probably won't see it get that hot again for a while but then again, I'm not used to it being that warm in late November anyway. We had a game last night and I spend most of my game days in a large concrete building so I really didn't get to notice the warm sun too much but it was there.




WE ALMOST BEAT THE PHOENIX SUNS LAST NIGHT!! Normally coming close to winning isn't good enough but when your team is 1-14 and many of those losses were by large margins, you will take a moral victory. The Suns came to town last night and beat the Thunder 99-98 but not before the Thunder took a 16 point lead with 2 minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter. The crowd came out to see the stars: Shaquille O'Neal (who did not play but was there is a suit), Steve Nash and Amare Stoudemire but what they got instead was a great basketball game. It was a packed house and the fans were cheering loudly all night. It was a fun atmosphere to be a part of.




One interesting note, at halftime they brought an elderly black woman to half-court in a wheelchair to honor her. I didn't know who she was at first but it turns out her name is Clara Luper and she helped organize a peaceful sit-in at a segregated lunch counter in downtown OKC in 1958. Hard to believe that I am living in an area where they had segregated eating areas not that long ago but the nice thing was that she received a great round of applause as well she should. One observation and that is all this is, not a political statement: Oklahoma City seems to be much more desegregated than Seattle and that is something I wasn't expecting when I got down here. OKC seems to have come a long way.




I have what I hope will be some exciting Thanksgiving plans and I will report them either tomorrow night or Friday morning. This might come as a shocker but the plans might involve football. Hope everyone that is reading this (all 5 of you) have a Happy Thanksgiving and are safe over the holiday weekend.

No comments: